Number of Research Scholars Presently Registered: 18
Seminar/ Workshop Organised :
- Training programme for the Pre and Post Poll Survey (Assembly Election Uttarakhand 2002) for the students of HNB Garhwal University with the collaboration of the CSDS, New Delhi in January –February 2002.
- 26 th National Conference of Indian Society of Gandhian Studies organized from 9-11 Oct, 2003.
- Workshop on Water Policy of Uttaranchal, in collaboration with Navdanya and SHER. August 7 2003
- Pariciman Adhyandesh 2002 ke Tahat Uttaranchal Rajya Mein Vidhan Sabha Seaton Ka Pariciman, Organised in collaboration with SAROKAR and SABKO , August 26 2003..
- Workshop on Urban Development and Management in Uttaranchal: Need a Balanced Policy, Organised in collaboration with SBMA Srinagar Garhwal, August 6-7, 2004.
- Training programme for the Post Poll Survey ( Lok Sabha election 2004) for the students of HNB Garhwal University with the collaboration of the CSDS, New Delhi in April 2004.
- National Seminar on Challenges to “India’s Foreign Policy in the New Era” from October 29-30, 2004. Funds for the conference were provided by Ministry of External Affairs (New Delhi), and Indian Council of Social Science Research (New Delhi)
- Career Counseling Workshop on Option for Higher Studies in United States of America., in March 2005, in collaboration with the United States Educational Foundation in India, New Delhi.
- Workshops on People's Responsibility in Urban Development and Management, Oraganised in collaboration with SBMA & SABKO, Srinagar, 3 rd April 2005.
- Regional Seminar on Good Governance in Uttaranchal: Issues, Challenges and Prospects, November 2005.
- Pre Poll and Exit Poll Survey Workshops with the collaboration of the CSDS New Delhi, for the students of social sciences and humanities in January 6, 2007 and February 19, 2007
Workshop on Research Methodology with the collaboration of the CSDS New Delhi, for the students of social sciences and humanities From October 1-3 , 2007
SAP National seminar on “Women Empowerment in Garhwal Himalayas: Constraints and Prospects” November 19-20, 2007
- Training programme /workshops with the collaboration of the CSDS New Delhi, for the students of social sciences and humanities in February 2009 for conducting survey research
- Orientation Programme for the newly elected women representatives of the Panchayati Raj Institutions during November 13-15, 2008 at Ghat Block in Chamoli Garhwal and Paithani in Thalisain Block during March 4-5, 2009
On Going Major Research Projects
1. Title of the project : Empowerment and Socio-Political Activism of the Rural Women of Garhwal Himalayas in the Last one Decade
Name of the Faculty : Prof. Annpurna Nautiyal
Duration : Two years (2007-2009)
Funding Agency : ICSSR, New Delhi
2 . Title of the project : Religious Conflict and Nation Building: A Gandhian Perspective
Name of the Faculty : Prof. Himanshu Bourai
Duration : Three years (2008-2011)
Funding Agency : UGC, New Delhi
Special achievements of the department:
The department has been awarded UGC- SAP- DRS programme for 2007-2012
Thrust Area of Research: Regional Development and Women Empowerment in the Garhwal Himalaya
A large number of students have been registered for D.Phil Degree under the guidance of the teachers of the department. In the last 15 years around 40 candidates have been awarded D.Phil. degree on various topics related to women empowerment, environmental issues, transhumance, voting pattern, political participation, and local self government and foreign policy issues
Thrust Areas of Research:
1. Gender Studies
2. Regional Issues
3. Environmental Issues
4. Gandhian Studies
5. International Relations
6. Women Studies