The region of Uttarakhand is well known for its vegetational flora including medicinal plants that provides ample material for research in the field of natural product chemistry.
Natural products chemistry in particular, isolation and characterization of bioactives from medicinal plants of this region is the focal research area. Analytical methods including HPLC methods have been developed and standardized for the certification of the medicinal herbs growing in different nurseries of Garhwal region. Besides, some work in organometallic chemistry, heterocyclic chemistry, photochemistry, fluorimetry and polymer chemistry is also being carried out.
The department has the distinction of having completed 20 projects in the area of natural products and presently 06 projects are in progress in the department. The department has established collaborations with premier Institutes and Universities at National and International levels. Faculties in the department have visited abroad for research work and received many national and international fellowships like Visiting Professorship at Japan,etc.
Major Research project ongoing in the department at present:
1. DST Project Sanctioned : 02: PI Prof MSM Rawat : PI Dr. DS Negi
2. UGC Project Sanctioned: 02: PI Dr DS Negi : PI Dr U Rawat
3. U-COST funded Project :02:PI Prof MSM Rawat & Prof Geeta Joshi :PI Dr. DS Negi
- 40 candidates have been registered for D. Phil.during last five years and 20 awarded .
- 50 Research Papers published in International/National/refereed/indexed journals during the last 4-5 years.
ANY OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
DST Funding under FIST Program: 25.0 Lac
1. International/National/Regional level Conferences/Symposia/Seminars/workshops conducted during the last 5 years with details of Sponsors and funding support received.
- National Seminar on Natural products Chemistry, Sponsors: DST, UGC, CSIR INSA, ICMR, DBT, ONGC, DABUR and MPB
2 . IANCAS National Workshop on Radiochemistry: DAE, DST, UGC,CSIR and INSA in 2003.
- Eighth National Convention of Chemistry Teachers and National
Conference on Emerging Trends in Chemistry in 2008.
Faculty members frequently participate in the national and international conferences, workshops, seminar to present papers and invited talks.
Major Research Equipments in the Department
- HPLC ( Waters: 2003 ), GCMS(Perkin Elmer: 2006),
- FTIR (Perkin Elmer:2006), UV( Perkin Elmer:2006),
- Chromatotron 7429 T(Harrison: 2007)
- Computer lab (22 computers with all facilities)
- Grant received from UGC for Basic Infrastructure support under the MHRD/UGC XI Plan Scheme of “STRENGTHENING SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH IN INDIAN UNIVERSITIES’’ : 10.0 Lac
- Number of Meritorious Fellowship for Research in Science Sanctioned under XI plan of UGC: 02