Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University was established as a State University vide U.P. State Government notification no. (10)/(865)/15/(75)(85)/64 dated 23 November 1973. It has a rare distinction of taking birth through a powerful popular movement during early seventies in the last century. This movement symbolized the hopes and aspirations of the masses of the region of Garhwal for the development through higher education. The people of this remote mountainous region agitated for opening a university at this small but historic semi rural town of Srinagar. It was an expression of the quest for empowering their future generations for overcoming endemic economic and social backwardness, geographic and environmental constraints, re-assertion of cultural identity and harnessing of the local natural and human resources for development.
The university was converted to a Central University on 15th January 2009 by an Act of Parliament i.e. the Central Universities Act 2009. The University, thus been entrusted with new responsibilities to guide its students, faculty and all other stakeholders to achieve excellence in academics and strive for all round development of the students. Since its inception, the University has shown commitment towards regional and community development which is inherent in its teaching courses, research agenda and other outreach and extension initiatives. The synergy derived from circumstances of its genesis still inspires and promotes its vision for future. However, being a Central University, HNBGU has a Pan-India appeal and draws students from various pockets of the country.
The University, nestled in the lap of Himalayan ranges in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand, is a residential cum affiliating institution of higher learning. It has jurisdiction over seven districts of Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. The University has three Campuses distantly located from each other - Birla Campus, Srinagar Garhwal with its extension at Chauras Campus, B. Gopal Reddy (BGR) Campus, Pauri and Swami Ram Teerth (SRT) Campus, Badshahithaul, Tehri. In addition, there are 121 colleges and institutes affiliated to it, spreading over seven districts of Garhwal region of Uttarakhand. In University campuses the undergraduate, post-graduate and research programmes are being offered in various disciplines. Besides conventional courses under different streams of studies, the University has introduced some regionally relevant courses that are of greater significance for the mountainous areas.
Area and People Served
- Natural Environment
Ranging from cities and industrial centres, to the blessed Himalaya providing a fertile ground for the thoughts to flourish. The serenity here acts as a catalyst that drives the pursuit of knowledge..
Ranging from rural to urban and traditional to modern social environment, the University acts as a point of confluence of a diverse socio-cultural mix.
Predominantly middle-class, lower middle-class, and economically weaker sections of society.
To achieve excellence by empowering all stakeholders through promotion of innovations in the field of higher education by imparting training and education, and encouraging research for the development of the country with specific attention to the mountain region.
To stimulate the academic environment for promotion of holistic learning and research and contribute to the nation’s growth. To inculcate values and impart skills for shaping able and responsible individuals committed towards the intellectual, academic and cultural development of society.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in the areas of humanities, social sciences, science and technology and other branches of learning.
- To make special provisions for integrated courses in its educational programmes.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process and inter-disciplinary studies and research; to educate and train manpower for the development of the country.
- To establish linkages with industries for the promotion of science and technology.
- To pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
FOCUS OF THE UNIVERSITY
- Excellence in higher education and research relevant to both nation, as a whole, and the hill states, including Uttarakhand, in particular.
- Expansion and inclusion at UG and PG levels of teaching for better outreach in rural areas, especially to the women in the hill districts of Uttarakhand.
- Promotion & Development of Extension as third dimension of higher education.