Biotechnology being technically advanced field of research and study is expected to bring revolutionary change in the exploration of Healthcare, Agriculture, Commercial and Industrial products and many more. The modern Biotechnology entails the use of Genetic Engineering, Structure based Drug Design, Recombinant DNA Technology, Cell Fusion Techniques, Hybridoma Technology, Bio-informatics, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and Vaccine Development, Gene Therapy, Stem Cell Technology, Transgenic of Plants & Animals, Bio-medical Biotechnology, Bio-remediation etc.
Considering the symbiotic role of Biology & Technology, it has become the universally acknowledged fact that the twenty-first century will be the century of Biotechnology and thus its significance will rise exponentially. Certainly, it will be integral to economic consequences, ethical implications and effects on human welfare. In India, the Biotechnology market will also boom rapidly and contribute in the national and international economy.
Nestled in the lap of Himalaya, the abode of ancient sages & covered with rich natural resources, the Biotechnology Courses were initially started in the year 2000. The State Govt. of Uttarakhand (GO N0. 519/XXIV(6)/2005 dated 09-6-2005) sanctioned Department of Biotechnology with five teaching & two technical positions. The UGC also sanctioned three positions of Lecturers. The Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, New Delhi (DBT) supported M. Sc. Biotechnology Course and also sanctioned Bioinformatics Facility Centre for promotion of Biological Teaching through Bioinformatics (BTBI) Scheme of BTIS Net. The pristine environment of the green campus allows the students to learn in a truly rejuvenating environment.
All above advanced, niche-oriented tiered, integrative curricula developed in Biotechnology (combination of foundation, core & elective courses with a cafeteria approach), would not merely end up in class-room teaching but also get translated in terms of resource utilization & job opportunities and above all, community growth & service. Therefore, the ambit of the program stretches from higher-class room teachings to research and extension domain.
All faculty members are engaged in research in diverse areas and regularly publish in high impact international journals. The Department believes in social outreach of the scientific research and to that end has adapted the resolution to take the research from Lab to field. The faculty members have continuously been able to attract extramural funding from different scientific agencies for running various research projects. The faculty members & research scholars continually update themselves by organising &/or participating in seminars / workshops / symposiums / conferences and special lectures and celebrating days of National & International importance etc.
Aims & Objectives:-
- To provide balanced & comprehensive knowledge of the basic as well as applied sciences related to Biotechnology.
- To achieve academic excellence through establishment & maintenance of highest standards in teaching & research.
- To generate skilled manpower capable of applying biological techniques to basic problems in biological sciences.
- To seek new models of collaboration with other Institutes, Universities and Industries for manpower development, training, and contract research levels.
- To combine academics with a blend of innovation.
Vision & Mission: -
- Undertake research work related to Biotechnological exploration of Himalayan flora, fauna and microbial diversity with sustainable & environmental friendly approaches and its translation into IPR generation and industrial applicability.
- Fulfilling of societal responsibility by way of generating awareness among the local rural / urban populations as well as school level students about the latest Biotechnological advances.
- Frequently revision of Syllabi according to UGC-MERP guidelines. Continuous internal assessment, Seminars, Group Discussions, Tutorials, Assignments, Interactive Group & Computer Assisted Teaching and Journal Club.
- Flexible cafetaria –approach with Foundation Core and a variety of niche-specific career-oriented Electives to allow greater freedom of choice and enhanced utility. Modifications of teaching methodologies and timely completion of syllabi, exams
- Department is active on various social media platforms for better connectivity with the students to share relevant information.
- Student centric approach during academic activities, counseling as well as mentoring of students for competitive exams like NET, GATE, BET and other entrance exams for reputed Universities /Institutes.
- Faculty members update themselves for contribution in teaching, learning and research.
The Department has a Bioinformatics Facility Centre (BIF Centre) established by Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, New Delhi:- "Creation of Bioinformatics Facility (BIF) for the promotion of Biological Teaching through Bioinformatics (BTBI) Scheme of BTlSnet”