Brief information about the Department
Department of Rural Technology prime objectives to carry out teaching, research, demonstration, training and extension activities for developing more effective equipment/tools using appropriate and indigenous technology, skill oriented programme and knowledge of rural people for overall upliftment of rural artisans and small cottage industries for sustainable rural development and livelihood improvements. Students with a Degree in M.Sc. in Rural Technology with the objective to facilitate appropriate development of science and need based technology for rural community enter a broad range of challenging and rewarding professional careers in Rural Development and Management, NGOs, Rural Marketing, Education and Research in both public and private sectors.
The Programme has been framed to provide an understanding and experience of different aspects of Rural Development. It is to provide a holistic perspective of schemes/programmes of central govt. in general and state govt. in particular.
- It is innovative, skill and employment oriented to attract bright students to the discipline of rural development.
- To serve as a national and regional hub of knowledge connectivity for rural development.
- To support developmental plans and policies for rural development by research, training and demonstration and create functioning packages of social and physical technologies and economic policy trategies.
- To facilitate the development of techno-managerial cadres needed for the rural development.
- To help create special institutional structures and schemes for nurturing the leadership in regional development/entrepreneurship with special focus on the hill specific regions.