DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE, STRATEGIC & GEO-POLITICAL STUDIES
H.N.B.GARHWAL UNIVERSITY BIRLA CAMPUS SRINAGAR (GARHWAL)
- Brief note about the Department :-
Background of the Department- Firstly, the defence study started in England during the Second World War as a subject of War Studies, and it also began at the same time in India. It has numerous important aspects during the war among the countries. Owing to its compulsory requirements for national security this subject has been offered by many Indian Universities/Institutes etc in the form of UG and PG courses. This subject fulfils the aspiration of a Youngster who wants to choose a career of excitement, adventure, and challenges. Since Uttarakhand is in the Himalayan region which has two major international borders with Nepal and China, therefore, the subject of Defence, Strategic & Geopolitical Studies plays a vital role in the National security on the abovementioned borders. This subject was offered by Garhwal University and a separate department was established in the year 1978 for UG and PG students. The department is running a research program (Ph.D.) in Defence studies for the last 45 years on various topics related to the following research areas.
- Promotion and Development of Defence (Military) education in Garhwal Regions and creation of awareness about National Security among students.
- Providing access to high quality education concerning Defence, Strategic and Geo-Political Studies to the intending student seeking admission at B.A/B.Sc. and M. A / M.Sc Levels.
- Promoting Research in the following areas like-
(1) National Security
(2) International Relation
(3) Indian Military History
(4) Insurgency & Counter Insurgency
(5) Regional Security
(6) Defence Modernization
(7) Indian Armed Forces
(8) Coastal Security
(9) Modern Warfare /War Study